first_img By Jon Zimney – November 30, 2020 1 755 WhatsApp Previous articleBeware of Facebook scam promising free food from ALDINext articleElkhart detectives asking for help identifying forgery suspect Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. Facebook Pinterest Pinterest Google+ Facebook Photo supplied) Last week, State Rep. Christy Stutzman stunned Hoosiers she represents in northern Indiana by announcing her decision to step down from her seat in the Indiana House, only weeks after having been re-elected.Stutzman is a co-owner of The Barns at Nappanee, which is the home of the old Amish Acres. It’s a business she, her husband, former Congressman Marlin Stutzman, and a few other investors bought at auction in late 2019 before the coronavirus pandemic hit.“I really have not thought I would have had to make this decision until the last executive order came down,” Stutzman said to All Indiana Politics on WISH-TV. “That was kind of the last straw. We could not survive financially if I didn’t take on more responsibility.”Stutzman said the business had been doing somewhat well despite the pandemic along with complying with restrictions from the state and local leaders in northern Indiana with the reopening efforts between late June and September. But with the resurgence of the virus coming about, Gov. Eric Holcomb rolled things back and took a more targeted approach on restrictions based on how bad the spread is in each particular county.For some areas, this meant some closures or stricter capacity limits.“We’ve had to do several rounds of layoffs,” Stutzman said. “We are down to a skeleton crew. We are trying to make ends meet. We’ve invested in this business personally.”The personal investment has gotten so great in order to keep The Barns at Nappanee running that Stutzman said she had to resign. It’s a decision she says took the governor’s office and many lawmakers by surprise, but she said they also understand her decision.Stutzman feels at this point Gov. Holcomb is overstepping his executive authority and that lawmakers need to be included in the decision-making process from here on out.“I don’t have all the answers but I will tell you I don’t think the businesses are the problem,” she said. “I understand some of the protocols, I some of the restrictions. I definitely would see that, as based on data, as a decision he would have to make, but at the same time I truly don’t believe the businesses are the cause of the problem.”She said, based on looking at data and trying to understand everything as best she can, that the virus is being spread elsewhere amongst the community.State Republicans have not laid out any definitive plans yet as to when they will hold a caucus to replace Stutzman. Twitter State Rep. Christy Stutzman speaking out about Indiana’s COVID-19 restrictions, decision to step down Google+ Twitter CoronavirusIndianaLocalNews WhatsApplast_img read more

first_imgA MOTORIST stopped at a garda checkpoint in Inishowen over the weekend failed the breath test, had no insurance and no tax.Gardaí seized the silver Volksvagen saloon car during the operation at Burnfoot.The motorist was one of a number of drivers detained over the weekend as gardaí continue their road safety campaign in the county. The driver was taken to Buncrana Garda Station and could now face jail if convicted at the local district court.On Friday and Saturday two Inishowen motorists were among the top ten drivers caught speeding during the 24-hour Operation Slow Down.DRINK-DRIVE, UNINSURED, UNTAXED MOTORIST ARRESTED BY GARDAÍ was last modified: May 29th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:arrestBurnfootdrink driverlast_img read more

first_imgDonegal Minister Joe McHugh has welcomed funding for a Men’s Shed project in Glenties under the Leader programme.“The presence of a Men’s Shed in a local community has been well documented in recent years,” Minister McHugh said.“They are a massive asset in rural areas as well as towns and cities. They keep isolation at bay. They offer a really valuable outlet for men of all ages. They create a safe and inclusive environment to pick up new skills, for people to share their know-how and above all else to feel part of a community. “I am delighted that the application for Glenties Men’s Shed has been approved. The group will get €9,432 as part of plans to develop a space for the shed.”Minister McHugh said: “Sometimes relatively small funding goes a long way and that couldn’t be more true than for the Men’s Shed. The presence of a Men’s Shed will have a lasting impact and really make a difference.“I recently met the Irish Men’s Sheds Association and heard from chief executive Barry Sheridan and his team about the work that they do with Men’s Sheds up and down the country and how they’d like to see the association develop.“Leader is all about community support and I’m sure the association will join with me in welcoming the development of another Men’s Shed.” Almost €10k awarded to Glenties Men’s Shed project under Leader Programme was last modified: August 9th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgThere goes the flaked stone tool as a measure of hominin intelligence, now that monkeys can unintentionally make them, too.Side by side, they look identical. Watch the video on Nature: capuchin monkeys are shown banging rocks for no good reason. The products, however, look the same as stone tools often used as a gauge of human intelligence. As humanity arose from the apes—as we’ve been told for decades—their use of stone tools improved, signalling the dawn of big-brained Homo. Ewen Calloway’s headline reads, “Monkey ‘tools’ raise questions over human archaeological record.” Callaway explains what those questions are:The capuchins make the fragments unintentionally while bashing rocks into dust, the researchers find. Some scientists say that the results call into question whether some stone tools have been incorrectly attributed to hominins — including 3.3-million-year-old artefacts from Kenya that are the oldest on record.Other sources are moaning as well:One sharp edge does not a tool make (Nature News)Monkeys Break Rocks, Show Humans Aren’t So Special (Live Science)Monkeys are seen making stone flakes so humans are ‘not unique’ after all (PhysOrg)Some of our Stone Age tools may just be crafty monkey throwaways (New Scientist)National Geographic, champion of early-man evolution tales, has not chimed in yet on this finding. Maybe it’s because it is embarrassing. For decades, NG has shown photos of the stone tools made by Homo habilis (handyman) and other hominins as proof of their evolving intelligence.It’s not clear why the capuchin monkeys bang rocks like this. It appears they like to lick the dust inside. The researchers note that the monkeys do not use the flaked rocks after they make them. But if the products are identical to the supposed human stone tools, how can one use them as a gauge of the evolution of intelligence? Only more advanced tools, such as those carved and fastened onto handles with adhesives, could show intention and mindfulness. From now on, flaked rocks are apparently ambiguous.What will this do to the Darwin early-man storytelling empire? This is funny because it plays right into the intelligent design movement’s hands. One design principle involves intentionality. Two artifacts may look identical (e.g., modern art vs. paint spilled on a canvas; natural radio pulses from space vs. a message from aliens). Intelligent design seeks to differentiate between intentional causes and non-intentional causes. These rocks have been mistaken for tools, but they aren’t tools if the monkeys aren’t using them intentionally as tools.(Visited 67 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

first_imgView comments MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students PLAY LIST 01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles in the 1990s, played 179 post-season games in his career.James moves past him to the top of the list in his 212th career playoff game.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingRELATED STORYLeBron on MJ comparisons: ‘There’s no similarities in our game at all’ BSP survey: PH banks see bright horizon amid dark global recession clouds Palace: Duterte to hear out security execs on alleged China control of NGCP Kings try to keep top 2 in sight Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES BREAKING: Cop killed, 11 hurt in Misamis Oriental grenade blast Every 18 seconds someone is diagnosed with HIV Cayetano dares Lacson, Drilon to take lie-detector test: Wala akong kinita sa SEA Games Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ LeBron James #23 of the Cleveland Cavaliers celebrates his dunk in the third quarter as Jae Crowder #99 of the Boston Celtics looks on during Game Five of the 2017 NBA Eastern Conference Finals at TD Garden on May 25, 2017 in Boston, Massachusetts. AFP/GETTY IMAGESLOS ANGELES—Cleveland superstar LeBron James surpassed NBA icon Michael Jordan as the league’s all-time playoff scoring leader on Thursday (Friday, Manila) in the Cavaliers’ Eastern Conference finals game against the Celtics in Boston.With a three-pointer in the third quarter James, 32, took his total of playoff points to 5,989 — two more than Jordan’s 5,987. He entered the contest needing 28 points to surpass Jordan.ADVERTISEMENT Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PARlast_img read more

first_imgNick Saban seen talking to the media.ESPN.At SEC Media Days this past Wednesday, Alabama head coach Nick Saban and ESPN college football analyst Paul Finebaum got into it a bit on the air regarding the legal situation involving Crimson Tide players Cam Robinson and Hootie Jones. When the cameras shut off, Saban apparently got even more animated with Finebaum – which a number of nearby reporters listened in on.It looks like the two are ready to hash it out again – or bury the hatchet. Finebaum took to Twitter Friday afternoon to announce that Saban will be in studio on his show this upcoming Tuesday. It’s a safe bet that Saban wants to clarify his position on the matter and address the confrontation the two had.Alabama Head Coach Nick Saban will join me next Tuesday in studio.— Paul Finebaum (@finebaum) July 15, 2016We’ll be tuning in, that’s for sure.last_img read more

first_imgNew Tehri: Four Kanwariyas were killed and eight others injured on Sunday when a huge rock fell on them in Narendra Nagar area of Uttarakhand’s Tehri district, officials said.Narendra Nagar SHO Manish Upadhyay said the rock fell on a Tata Sumo and a motor cycle at Bagaddhar on NH 94. Three of the deceased Kanwariyas were from Haryana and they were travelling in the Tata Sumo, while the other deceased was on the motorcycle, officials said. The Kanwariyas were returning to Rishikesh after collecting holy water from Gangotri when they met with the accident, they added. The eight injured were admitted at AIIMS in Rishikesh, the SHO said.last_img read more

first_imgLaurie HamelinAPTN NewsLocated at the mouth of Douglas Channel on the north central coast of B.C. is Kitimat – a beautiful area surrounded by mountains and waterways mixed in with industry.This is where LNG Canada is building the largest private-sector investment project in Canadian history.Natural gas will travel down a new 670 km pipeline from Dawson Creek, B.C. to the processing plant in Kitimat where the gas will be liquefied and put on tankers destined for Asian markets.The $40 billion project got the final go ahead by investors in October and the people of the Haisla Nation couldn’t be happier.“The opportunity that we have here is immeasurable,” said Chief Councillor Crystal Smith.Haisla has an impact benefits agreement with LNG Canada.Smith said she’s proud of her nation’s partnership – and the company treats her people as rightful landowners.“We have had industry in our territory for the last 50 to 60 years. The difference with this project is that we have had a meaningful partnership within it,” she said. “That means an equal level of playing field in terms of our involvement of how this project is built, the standard in which it is built, and terms of that environmental aspect, what is suitable and what is acceptable for our Nation in terms of our cultural existence in this territory.”The processing facility owned by LNG Canada will be built on the Haisla Traditional territory which sits just across the water from the nation’s home community of Kitamaat Village.Smith said she wants this project to bring her people back home. Only 700 of 1,800 members live on reserve.“This project provides a real opportunity to building capacity, providing programs that heal from past traumas and a bright future that is provided right in our backyard when it comes to education and employment opportunities,” she said.Smith was born and raised in Kitamaat Village.Much of her support for the project is fuelled by personal experience.“In 2013 my common law of 16 years committed suicide,” she said. “Lack of resources, lack of awareness, education, a lack of everything for assistance with mental health issues.  Lack of resources for alcohol and drug addiction.“It motivates me to do my job so no other family in my community has to go through and endure what I have gone through, my children have gone through.”Edmund Grant is also from Kitamaat Village.He has a job doing site prep for the project and said he’s thankful his leadership signed on.“I am very happy I got a job.  It’s good hours, good pay,” he said.“It’s not just the project itself that brings in work.  Once we get a project this big coming to town it brings in more businesses.”During construction, the project is expected to employ as many as 10,000 people – with 950 full time jobs.Susannah Pierce, a spokesperson for LNG Canada said the company hopes to help provide a new future for First Nations.“It’s not just a construction opportunity, but is an opportunity for a lifetime,” she said. “And that is how we are trying to create this company because we are going to be here for 40 years.”The pipeline and facility have signed agreements with all elected First Nation communities along the route.But that doesn’t mean everyone feels this partnership with a big gas company is a good idea – some people have criticized their leaders for selling out.“Am I a sell out for wanting a better life for my people? To say that we would sell our environment short for a dollar sign is completely untrue,” said Smith. “I value this, I value our territory, I value our land.“Most importantly I value this water, this is our dinner plate, this environment is my culture, this environment is Haisla.The project is expected to be up and running by [email protected]@lauriehamelinlast_img read more

first_imgLOS ANGELES — Ailing 95-year-old media mogul Sumner Redstone has settled a series of lawsuits pitting him against his ex-girlfriend days before a trial was set to begin.Redstone’s attorney, Robert Klieger, said Tuesday that Manuela Herzer will return $3.25 million that Redstone had given her and relinquish any claim she has over his estate or health.The settlement agreement says it ends seven lawsuits and countersuits between Redstone and Herzer that began in 2015 after their breakup and involve his estate, allegations of elder abuse and invasion of privacy.Sumner, the majority shareholder of CBS and Viacom, said he had given Herzer tens of millions of dollars.The legal fight had largely centred on whether Redstone, who has been in mental decline, was able to testify and make decisions for himself.The Associated Presslast_img read more

first_imgThe four candidates looking to be elected to the two seats in Electoral Area I are Becky Borton, Jessica Fairful, Crystal Hillton, and Andrea Smith.The three candidates looking to be elected to the two seats in Electoral Area III are Jennifer Lalonde, Angelica Schurmann, and Tamara Ziemer.The five candidates looking to be elected to the two seats in Electoral Area IV are Chad Anderson, Kim Erickson, Darcy Heartt, Travis Jones, and Nicole Soontiens.The local government elections are taking place on October 20th. DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – There will be an election for six of the seven seats on the Peace River South School District’s Board of Trustees.Of the seven seats on the School Board in the South Peace, two represent Electoral Areas I, III, and IV, while Electoral Area II only gets one seat.Roxanne Gulick was the lone candidate to submit nomination papers for Electoral Area II, which serves the Tumbler Ridge area.last_img read more